Week of June 11th

Hello everyone!  Welcome to the now “third week” of training.  We start weights this week, and bump it up to four times a week for the Bryn Mawr schedule.  I know Mazz, Lina, Rachel, and Marta have been running.  Liz has been taking a spinning class; Vanessa has been bringing home some hardware for swimming this summer- excellent work!  Swimming is also great cross training for the legs and more upper body strength.  I’ll be competing in my first regatta this weekend of the summer- Yay! (PS- if you’re not mentioned here, post so we can know what you’re up to! And if you know someone who isn’t posting, tell them to post! We want to hear about all the ways that you are staying active- not just the summer training schedule.)

There was also some great racing this weekend down in Tennessee at Junior Rowing Nationals.  There were some awesomely fast times in Oak Ridge.  Mosey on over to Row2K and check it out.

For the the moment, I know those of you are are rowing this summer are focuses on 2K’s- I also want to remind everyone that this summer we need to think of endurance for that 5K length.  Longer runs and bicycle rides/ longer time cardio will help us all to keep in shape so that we can have the speed and the power to outlast the competition this fall.

Also remember to stay conscientious of your body this week as we adjust to going back into the weight circuits.  If it hurts, and you can tell something does’t feel right, stop.  If you’re not sure, Terry is in his office all summer.  Trust me- give the trainers a call. Drink lots of water- I know that where I am, it has been hot and relatively humid.

Finally, the inspirational quote for the week:  Rowing is a sport for dreamers. As long as you put in the work, you can own the dream.” — Jim Dietz

4 comments to Week of June 11th

• Julie Mazz

So! This past week I did the total body workout on Monday, and then the 2 pylo on Tuesday plus a 4 mile (I think? I have no idea…but I’m pretty sure 20 blocks = 1 mile and I know I ran around 80 total…I can’t remember). I couldn’t do the jump rope day because I don’t own one, plus that would be an excellent way to annoy the people below me, but I did a 5 mile run (again, I think, although I mapped it online so that should be pretty accurate) on Friday. On Wednesday I’m going with my grandpa to his gym to see if I can get a discounted membership so I can erg as well!

PLEASE COMMENT ON THESE POSTS!

-Julie

• Lina Blount

Late, but here goes it. I’m officially back in the US and will be having my shoulder surgery in a week. Last week in Krakow I ran 6km a day 4 days in a row, then went on a long 3 hour walk in Gdansk on the 15th. This week I’ll have access to free weights and I have plans to do some hiking Wednesday. Hope you all are doing well!

• Anna Brandtjen

I did the weight circuits ( à la Courtney) and the tempo runs this week, but have been cycling instead of running the mile- running on concrete has been hurting, especially since it seems like it rains 3-4 days out of the week lately. On Tuesday, I subbed into the bow of a coxed four. Which I am sure you all know was not the smartest thing in the world. It was a good workout though- hard steady state for about 50 minutes up stream (roughly 4 miles), and then 20 on 10 off all the way back to the boathouse. Of course it still kind of smarts- my shoulders have been clicking ever since.

• Liz Jenkins

Hi everyone, this past week I started rowing at my local club I rowed Monday, Tuesday and Friday. I even got to row in a octuple, there were way to many oars lol. On Wednesday there was crappy weather so the coach had us do a hard erg workout, it was 250, 500, 750, 1000 meters and then back down and we were at 85 to 90% pressure it was kinda hard. I also did went to a spinning class on Monday and on Tuesday I did one of Courtney’s circuit. Finally I finished the week off with a yoga class, it was nice to stretch.